August 25, 2015 Board Meeting Minutes
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Location: THINC. Board Conference Room
One College Circle, LaGrange, Georgia 30240
Present: John Asbell (presiding), Robby Burch, Darryl Harrison, Toni Striblin,
Linda McMullen, CJ Tumambing, Corinne Hodges, Greg Hicks, Perrin Alford
Absent: Tonia Contorno, Renae Willis
Others Present: CEO – Kathy Carlisle
Staff/Consultants – Lauren Carlisle, Carrie Brkich, Joe Sumner
Chair John Asbell called the meeting to order at 3:03pm.
Perrin Alford gave the Invocation.
Toni Striblin made a motion to approve Minutes of the July 28, 2015 Board meeting. Robby Burch seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
Finance – Robby Burch, Treasurer
- P&L Reviewed and approved with the following recommendations:
- Add “pending Board approval for Miscellaneous Construction, Science Lab, Education Special Expense.
- Science Lab – approved for conceptual designs, $5,000. A “pending approval” will be added to the Science Lab line item. The CEO and Finance Committee to provide more detail regarding enrollment, budget, ROI, STEM Certification. Motion brought by Robby Burch, Toni Striblin, second, approved.
- Toni Striblin motioned to budget $5,000 for a Science Lab conceptual drawing. Greg Hicks second, and motion passed unanimously.
- Perrin made a motion to approve the Budget to include the amendments. Darryl seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
- Recent Donations received $10,000.00 from J. Smith Lanier, $200 (two $100 individual) donation from the Optimist Club, J. Smith Lanier donation will be $50,000.00 over 5 years. Randy Jackson is working on $10,000.00 donation from Jeff Foxworthy and $60,000.00 from BlueCross BlueShield over 5 years. Corinne and Randy recently presented to the East AL Medical Center.
Audit(Mauldin & Jenkins)-Dr. Carlisle
- The Audit began on August 24th, 2015. The Finance Committee approved the auditors. The Finance Committee will also review the audit and then present the findings to the board. The audit is supposed to be completed by October 1st, 2015.
Meeting Times Changed-Dr. Carlisle
- The Finance/Fund-Raising Committee Meeting has been changed to the 3rd Monday of each month at 12pm.
Governance Committee Recommendations– Linda McMullen
- Linda made a motion to pass recommendations for the bylaws. Corinne seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
Chair Report– John Asbell
- A new meeting time was proposed for the board meeting. The board meeting will be held the same day which is the 4th Tuesday of each month however the time would change to 12pm. This would give us access to the students and give students access to the board meetings. No motion is required to change the time.
CEO Report– Dr. Carlisle
- The CEO presented a THINC. Value Report indicating a total of $5.325 million expended for the facility, furniture, equipment, signage. This amount does not include operating cost for the start-up.
- THINC receives $1.2 FTE dollars from TCSS, which equates to $2,424 per ½ day student. The total cost for a student to attend THINC. is $3,733.00. That gap between the $2,424 and the $3733 will become a serious concern in two years when KIA funding ends.
- Our current Enrollment numbers are: 322 on campus, 475 working with and in our Career Pathways we have 67 Marketing, 104 Healthcare, 35 Engineering Drafting & Design, 55 Mechatronics, 27 Engineering, 97 PSO/Dual Enrollment, and 59 in WBL.
Chair Final Thoughts-John
- There is an August nominating timeline in place for the changing of THINC. board members according to the By-laws. The Nominations Committee is requesting input from the current board with help to finding potential board members. We need to remember to have conversation with those outside to find good and committed board members. We are looking for people who are strategic leaders and who have vision. The nominations will come up for board approval in October. They are working through the by-laws now to assign terms so we will all know how long we will serve. They will get this out to the board this week.
Robby made a motion to adjourn. John seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 4:25pm.
Next meeting date: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 12pm in the THINC. Board Room, One College Circle, LaGrange, GA 30240.