January 28, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2016
Time: 12 p.m.
Location: THINC. Board Conference Room
One College Circle, LaGrange, Georgia 30240
Present: Renae Willis (presiding), Robby Burch, Toni Striblin, Lucinda Person,
Linda McMullen, Mike Young, John Radcliffe, Diane Cousins, Mardi
Schaufler, Corinne Hodges, Greg Hicks, Darryl Harrison
Absent: Perrin Alford
Others Present: CEO – Kathy Carlisle
Staff/Consultants – Dr. Chris Williams, Lauren Carlisle
Mauldin & Jenkins- James Bence
Legal- Mitch Key
TCSS- Yolanda Stephen
Chair Renae Willis called the meeting to order at 12:05pm.
Renae Willis gave the Invocation.
Toni Striblin made a motion to approve Minutes of the October and December 2015 board meetings. Darryl Harrison seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
Robby Burch made a motion to approve Mitch Key as the new THINC. Board Attorney. Corinne Hodges seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
Finance – Robby Burch, Treasurer
- P&L Update: Robby went over the P&L with the board. We are in very good shape. From an FTE standpoint we are ahead of where we expected to be at this point in time. We also have 2 years left of the KIA $600,000.00 donation. We are halfway through the year and we have only spent 50% of the budget on the expense side. Darryl Harrison made a motion to approve the P&L. Lucinda Person seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously.
- Procurement/Cash Management Policy- (first read) The policy we have in place needed to be strengthened so we aligned our policy amounts with the TCSS policy regarding the use of FTE funds and clarified procedures for private funds. The board members will vote on this policy at the next board meeting.(first read). The board members will vote on this policy at the next board meeting.
- Donations (Dr. Kathy Carlisle): We have had multiple new donations and in-kind donations to THINC. Some of the recent donations were from Diverse Power, MOBIS and Powertech. Randy Jackson, from KIA, has played a big role in fund raising for THINC.
- Science Lab Update (John Radcliffe): The science lab is moving along as far as the design goes. We are waiting on WGTC plans. We also received input from several science teachers and hoping to have the Science Lab operational by August 2016.
- Audit (James Bence): Mr. Bence presented the audit along with the findings. There were some audit adjustments made for next year. He also provided future accounting standards for next year. Toni Striblin made a motion to approve the Audit. John Radcliffe seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously.
CEO Report – Kathy Carlisle, CEO
- Strategic Planning: THINC. board members are a part of the large group that will be giving ideas, suggestions and big vision for THINC. There is a smaller group that will help take all of these ideas and put them into a workable document. There will be a March meeting to specifically discuss sustainability.
- Scorecard: 474 enrolled, 319 om campus, 52 in WBL, and 103 in move on when ready. Dr. Carlisle also went over enrollment numbers by course, demographics, attendance and discipline.
- New Programs: She presented the new programs for THINC students next year: Gaming and Sports Medicine. We will also have Physics and Chemistry in the Science Program. The TCSS has already approved the programs however the THINC board will need to approve it. Corinne made a motion to accept the additions to the program. John Radcliffe seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously.
Code of Ethics – Linda McMullen
- All board members will need to sign the Conflict of Interest. Also, the board approved the Code of Ethical Conduct. Mardi Schaufler made a motion to approve the Code of Ethical Conduct. Lucinda Person seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
Business Students– The Spark Swap
- Two students presented a business proposal to open a swap store called The Spark Swap.
The meeting adjourned at 1:07pm.
Next meeting date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 12pm in the THINC. Board Room, One College Circle, LaGrange, GA 30240.