June 23, 2015 Board Minutes
Date: Tuesday, June 23 rd , 2015
Time: 3 p.m.
Location: THINC. College and Career Academy Conference Room
One College Circle, LaGrange, Georgia 30240
Present: John Asbell (presiding), Robby Burch, Toni Striblin, CJ Tumambing, Renae Willis, Linda McMullen, Darryl Harrison,
Absent: Corinne Hodges, Perrin Alford, Greg Hicks, Tonya Contorno
Others Present: CEO – Kathy Carlisle
Staff/Consultants – Lauren Carlisle, Carrie Brkich, Jennifer Pike, Chris Williams
Chair John Asbell called the meeting to order at 3:14pm.
Toni Striblin made a motion to approve Minutes for the meeting on May 26 th , 2015. Robby
Burch seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
Financial Report – Robby Burch presented the monthly financial report.
- We are in good shape financially. The $547,796.94 is the balance at the end of the fiscal
year however this does not include the $600,000.00 from KIA. The Facility budget is
based on a facility project. Both contributions from GA Power are included. We have
spent $1,207,250.51YTD. We are under budget by $327,000.00. From a facility
standpoint we are under budget with money in the bank.
- The Operations money is primarily coming from KIA and we are still under budget by
about $14,561.00. They will be working on cleaning up the Operations Equipment
budget. Toni Striblin made a motion to approve the financial report, Darryl Harrison
seconded, the motion passed unanimously.
- Moving forward we will have an Operations budget only because the facility will be
- A lot of money was saved due to the efforts of Dr. Chris Williams and THINC.
Mechantronics Instructor John Stadler.
- FTE Update: Robby presented the projected budget for the coming year 2015-2016. YTD
FTE is in good shape and we will use same format going forward. We used some funds to
purchase the Visio Tech 3D Software. The benefits of this software are: audio visiual
rover, can be moved to any classroom, hands-on learning, introduces students to
technology advancement. The goal is to carry as much money over as possible. The
shortfall on FTE Funds will be made up with the KIA donation. We will still have
$400,000.00 in reserve. C.J. Tumambing made a motion to approve the 2015-2016
Budget, Linda McMullen seconded, and the motion passed unanimously
Governance Committee Recommendations- – Linda McMullen reported on the most recent
Governance Committee meeting. The following is a list of the recommendations from the
- Attendance Policy (All board members will be required to attend 75% of regular
scheduled board meetings.) New board members will receive the policies, by-laws, etc.
- Increase the size of the board
- Revise the by-laws to place the TCSS Representative and the College Representatives in
- “Removal for cause” will be specified for the director and explained in detail.
- Adopt a Board Code of Ethics Policy and once approved place on the THINC. website
- Nominating Committee selected
CEO suggested to include legislative representatives on the board
Chair Report– John Asbell gave an update regarding a recent KIA meeting with Randy Jackson
and Corinne Hodges from KIA. The meeting was focused around expectations and relationships
with our stakeholders. THINC. has worked closely with education partners in the past however
the business partners are wanting to be a part of the THINC. vision. We need to be accountable
to how we spend their donation and work on developing a language and dialogue with our
CEO Report – Dr. Carlisle gave an update on the scorecard. Enrollment has declined due to
several obstacles. The obstacles mentioned by the CEO are listed below.
- Intro classes are held back at the high schools
- The solution for next year is that we could have our own pathway (Audio/Video Technology Pathway or Web/Digital Sign which would be a Computer Science Pathway)
- We have limited access to Academic Classes
- TCSS will not allow core classes for end of the year testing to be at THINC.
- We do not have 9 th graders however next year they will be attend.
- A Science Lab will allow us to have science classes
- The CEO also handed out a list of dates of upcoming special events for everyone to attend.
The meeting adjourned at 4:53pm and went into executive session.
Next meeting date: Tuesday, July 28, 2014 at 3 p.m. in the Board Room of THINC. College and
Career Academy, One College Circle, LaGrange, GA 30240.