September 22, 2015 Board Meeting Minutes
Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2015
Time: 12 p.m.
Location: THINC. Board Conference Room
One College Circle, LaGrange, Georgia 30240
Present: John Asbell (presiding), Robby Burch, Darryl Harrison, Toni Striblin,
Linda McMullen, CJ Tumambing, Corinne Hodges, Greg Hicks, Tonia
Contorno, Renae Willis
Absent: Perrin Alford
Others Present: CEO – Kathy Carlisle
Staff/Consultants – Lauren Carlisle
Press- James Morton
TCSS- John Radcliffe
Chair John Asbell called the meeting to order at 3:05pm.
Linda McMullen gave the Invocation.
Toni Striblin made a motion to approve Minutes of the August 25, 2015 Board meeting. Linda McMullen seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
Board Members & Timeline – John Asbell and Linda McMullen
- Based on how are by-laws are set up, board nominations go through the Chamber of Commerce Board as a nominating committee however the board will have final approval. The upcoming board nominations will be presented by the Executive Committee to the board at the October board meeting.
Finance – Robby Burch, Treasurer
- P&L and Final Update: The P&L and FTE Budgets were presented with no questions asked, therefore it stands approved.
- Audit is still in progress and the Audit results will give us some suggestions as to what changes we need to make at THINC.
- Future expenses: Electrical and Mechatronics/Engineering. We will need to buy power for these and John Radcliffe is working on a quote.
- The $400,000 in resolve will be put in a reserve as uncommitted funds.
- Science Lab has not been approved.
Darryl Harrison made a motion to approve the financial budget. Tonia Contorno seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously.
- New Donations received from Jeff Foxworthy in the amount of $10,000. Also, KIA is purchasing 600 THINC shirts in the amount of $4600 for the students.
- He met with Steve Daniels and Cole Pugh to discuss however nothing has been finalized. They are re-working on the operating agreement between THINC, TCSS and WGTC to include building access, key request, card access, funds, and etc.
- Upcoming Expenses: Electrical for Mechatronics and Engineering- John Radcliffe
- Increased Electrical outlets and power are needed in the Mechatronics Lab to operate Robots. The quote is somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000 for additional power to operate the robots and for the installation of a main shut off power button. The CNC Machine that was purchased for the engineering area will require some additional cost which is included in the previous mentioned quote.
CEO Report – Kathy Carlisle
- Enrollment: We currently have 319 on campus, 52 in WBL, 103 in PSO, 474 total students served at THINC. With a 10% projected growth for next year, our total enrollment would increase to 596. Our goal is to have 20 students per class on based on our charter. If our numbers continue to grow on campus close to 500 then we will need 5 academic classes, therefore Science was suggested.
- Several Science Lab Opportunities were mentioned such as STEM Certification, Science Courses, Classroom Collaboration, proposal of a multi-purpose lab, and partnership with Community Relationships. Some Science Lab Challenges are time constraints with WGTC Lab, Dual Enrollment is only available to 11th and 12th grade, and transportation. Some alternatives to a Science Lab would be EOC, offering Intro classes, or New Pathways. The estimated cost for the Science Lab is $500,000.
- The Scorecard will be discussed in the upcoming October Board meeting.
Reminder from the Chair- There will be a New Board Member Training in the first 2 weeks of November.
CEO Evaluation – Corrine
- The Personnel Committee elected Corinne as Chair. At their most recent meeting they discussed the CEO Evaluation process and an evaluation tool. The tool has two sections: 1. Goals tied directly to the scorecard 2. Goals tied to the THINC. expectations. The committee drafted a policy regarding the evaluation tool to add to the policy manual. The Personnel Committee made the recommendation and it was also reviewed by Linda, who is on the Governance Committee. Robby and CJ made a motion to approve the recommendation. Greg seconded the motion, motion passed unanimously.
Corinne made a motion to adjourn. Tonia seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 1:24pm.
Next meeting date: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 12pm in the THINC. Board Room, One College Circle, LaGrange, GA 30240.